By Melvin McLeod, Editors of Shambhala Sun
Author note: Melvin McLeod [Editor]
A treasury of the main impressive, profound, and thought-provoking Buddhist-inspired writing released within the final 12 months.
The top Buddhist Writing 2012 comprises:
• His Holiness the Dalai Lama on cultivating a common ethic of kindness
• Sharon Salzberg on getting your meditation perform started
• Pema Chödrön on tips to smile at fear
• The Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi on studying international difficulties throughout the lens of conventional Buddhist teachings
• Bruce wealthy at the enlightened version of presidency of the Buddhist monarch King Ashoka
• Thich Nhat Hanh on constancy in loving relationships
• Michael A. Stusser's determined—and hilarious—effort to speak—and tweet—no evil
• Norman Fischer on a brand new and extra open figuring out of language
• Barry Boyce's attention-grabbing survey of the existence and teachings of the past due Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche
• Michael Stone and David Loy at the simple questions raised by way of the Occupy Wall highway movement
• Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche's rationalization of the meditation perform of kusulu, the top of simplicity and relaxation
• Nancy Baker at the robust and worthwhile strength at the back of anger
• Diane Ackerman on residing along with her liked husband's Alzheimer's disease
• Yangzom Brauen's relocating account of her grandmother and mother's get away from Tibet following the chinese language invasion
• and masses extra
Read or Download The Best Buddhist Writing 2012 PDF
Best spirituality books
Development at the awesome good fortune of the ability of Now, Eckhart Tolle offers readers with a good examine the present nation of humanity: He implores us to work out and settle for that this kingdom, that's in line with an misguided id with the egoic brain, is certainly one of harmful madness.
Tolle tells us there's excellent news, even if. there's a substitute for this very likely dire state of affairs. Humanity now, maybe greater than in any prior time, has a chance to create a brand new, saner, extra loving global. this may contain a thorough internal bounce from the present egoic cognizance to a completely new one.
In illuminating the character of this shift in awareness, Tolle describes intimately how our present ego-based kingdom of recognition operates. Then lightly, and in very useful phrases, he leads us into this new recognition. we are going to come to adventure who we actually are—which is whatever infinitely more than something we at present imagine we are—and discover ways to reside and breathe freely.
Transurfing fact was once one of many most sensible non-fiction bestsellers on the planet in 2005 and 2006. Unknown until now within the West, the sequence has bought over 1,300,000 copies in Russia in 3 years. This translation (by Natasha Micharina) describes a brand new means of taking a look at truth, certainly of making it. It offers a systematic rationalization of the legislation that assist you do that, increase a systematic version, conversing intimately approximately specific principles to keep on with and giving very important how-to suggestions, illustrated with examples.
Is it attainable to reside good whilst the very floor we stand on is shaky? convinced, says everyone's favourite Buddhist nun, it's even attainable to dwell fantastically, compassionately, and fortunately on shaky ground—and the key is: the floor is usually shaky. Pema indicates how utilizing a conventional Buddhist perform referred to as the 3 Vows or 3 Commitments is the way to chill out into profound sanity in the middle of no matter what non-sanity is occurring round us.
The Blue Cliff list is a translation of the Pi Yen Lu , a suite of 1 hundred well-known Zen koans observed through commentaries and verses from the lessons of chinese language Zen masters. Compiled within the 12th century, it's one in all the nice treasures of Zen literature and an important research handbook for college kids of Zen.
- How To Be a Success (The Wisdom of Yogananda: Volume 4)
- Buddha in Blue Jeans: An Extremely Short Simple Zen Guide to Sitting Quietly
- Karma and Reincarnation: Understanding Your Past (The Wisdom of Yogananda, Volume 2)
- Perfect conduct : ascertaining the three vows
Additional info for The Best Buddhist Writing 2012
Max owned a thriving sandwich shop. There were almost always people waiting in line to eat at his little shop. He gave away free pickles, free potato chips, sometimes a free soft drink, and his sandwiches were famous for being overstuffed. One day his son, who lived in a distant city, came to visit. They had a good visit, but as the son was leaving, he told his father, “Since I’ve been here, I’ve been observing how you run the sandwich shop, and I have to tell you for your own good that you’re making a big mistake giving away all those extras.
Prentiss beckons us to see the world through his eyes and share his joy. ” —New Age Retailer “Happiness can be a fickle thing. It can be a snug, magnetic garment, attracting more and more of the same, or it can be an ill-fitting gossamer veil flitting here and there. It all depends on one’s psychology, karma, and attitude. This wonderful little book shows that we can overcome the obstacles to happiness. It’s for those who want and need change—in expectations, habits, and outlook. Chris Prentiss teaches us how, with a joie de vivre that obviously comes from experience.
ALAN WATTS Zen is too vast a subject to be dealt with in its entirety in this small book, but I will explore how the essence of Zen, its method, and its approach can be used effectively by us to achieve our goal of happiness. Zen is a Japanese word that is derived from the Sanskrit word meaning “meditation” (dhyana in Sanskrit, ch’an in Chinese, and zen in Japanese). Zen is a journey of exploration and a way of living that, in and of itself, does not belong to any one religion or tradition. It is about experiencing life in the here and now and about removing the dualistic distinctions between “I” and “you,” between “subject” and “object,” between our spiritual and our ordinary, everyday activities.