By Jerome, Frederic Adam Wright (ed.)
Read or Download Jerome: Select Letters (Loeb Classical Library No. 262) PDF
Best ancient & classical books
Based on Christian mythology, the Holy Grail used to be the dish, plate, or cup utilized by Jesus on the final Supper, acknowledged to own brilliant powers. the relationship of Joseph of Arimathea with the Grail legend dates from Robert de Boron's Joseph d'Arimathie (late twelfth century) during which Joseph gets the Grail from an apparition of Jesus and sends it together with his fans to nice Britain; development upon this subject matter, later writers acknowledged how Joseph used the Grail to trap Christ's blood whereas interring him and that during Britain he based a line of guardians to maintain it secure.
The interval of Israel’s Babylonian exile is among the so much mesmerizing eras of biblical background. in this time Israel went via its private concern and the basis was once laid for its so much profound renewal. The drawback provoked the construction of a wealth of literary works comparable to laments, prophetic books, and old works, all of which Albertz analyzes intimately in the course of the equipment of social background, composition feedback, and redaction feedback.
Demosthenes (384–322 BCE), orator at Athens, used to be a pleader in legislations courts who later grew to become additionally a statesman, champion of the previous greatness of his urban and the current resistance of Greece to the increase of Philip of Macedon to supremacy. We own by way of him political speeches and law-court speeches composed for events in inner most instances and political circumstances.
Writer: London Heinemann ebook date: 1915 Notes: this can be an OCR reprint. there's a number of typos or lacking textual content. There are not any illustrations or indexes. if you happen to purchase the overall Books variation of this ebook you get unfastened trial entry to Million-Books. com the place you could make a choice from greater than one million books at no cost.
- Philostratus, The Life of Apollonius of Tyana: Volume II. Books 6-8. Epistles of Apollonius. Eusebius: Treatise (Loeb Classical Library No. 17)
- Pomponius Mela's Description of the World
- Brassinosteroids. Chemistry, Bioactivity, and Applications
- Mathematics in Western Culture (Galaxy Books)
Extra info for Jerome: Select Letters (Loeb Classical Library No. 262)
8. Rogo, quae est ista securitas? Impendentem non timet mortem, laetatur percussa, carnifex pallet oculi gladium non videntes tantum fibulam vident et, ne parum praestabat tertius esset, quod non formidabat interitum, beneficium ictus : s acr saevienti. amen tum lam igitur frustraverat et trinitatis. lam speculator exterritus et non credens ferro mucro- nem aptabat in iugulum, ut, qui secare non poterat, saltim premente manu corpori inaudita res saeculis et velut ! conderetur : —ad capulum gladius dominum suum O omnibus reflectitur, victus aspiciens confessus est non posse.
33 SELECT LETTERS OF patrem militiam deseram, sepulturam Christi cui quam etiam omnibus causa non debeo, debeo Paulus retinentibus fratribus, ne fuit. ' umquam aliquem * devorare quaerens Sedet in insidiis respiciunt; in spelunca sua ; circuit, cum ; te si tamquam Adversarius noster ut interficiat innocentem pauperem Erras, frater, Christianum persecutionem nunc cum maxime oppugnaris, pacem putas ? occultis, si ais, oppugnari nescis. ' non pati; et Quid sed mori in Hierusalem paratus nomine est ' : meum?
388) consecrated bishop of that see; often referred to by Jerome (Letters III, IV, V, and XV) ; also by Basil, Letter CXXXVIII. ' The odium of such an action sent the executioner away in confusion, and the woman was secretly cared for indoors. Finally, lest the doctor's frequent visits to the church should give rise to suspicion, she had her hair cut short, and in company with some virgins was sent to a lonely house in the country. There for a little time she put on men's clothes until the scars formed over her wound.