By Ian Stewart
Symmetry is without doubt one of the strongest and wide-ranging of mathematical rules with contemporary paintings on symmetry breaking, whilst symmetrical styles are just a little altered or corrupted, throwing up a rare diversity of purposes and typical examples, from the stripes on a tiger's again to the territorial styles of fish and to the constitution of viruses. This ebook appears to be like on the purposes of symmetry and symmetry breaking to topics as various as climate styles, crystal constructions, the buckling of beams and particle physics.
Read Online or Download Fearful Symmetry: Is God a Geometer? PDF
Best education & training books
"Karen Stabiner's stepping into [is] funny (in a wry form of approach) yet pointed and strangely enticing novel approximately parental and teenage obsessiveness concerning the university program procedure in self sufficient faculties and the debilitating, distorting impression of it on young ones and households. needs to learn for college-prep youngsters and their mom and dad.
From Publishers Weekly *Starred overview. * Signature*Reviewed by way of* Perri KlassI want I had learn this publication while i used to be in clinical institution, and i am happy i have learn it now. such a lot readers will knowJerome Groopman from his essays within the *New Yorker*, which tackle a wide selection of complicated health conditions, evocatively speaking the tensions and feelings of either medical professionals and sufferers.
Symmetry is among the strongest and wide-ranging of mathematical rules with fresh paintings on symmetry breaking, while symmetrical styles are a bit of altered or corrupted, throwing up a unprecedented diversity of functions and typical examples, from the stripes on a tiger's again to the territorial styles of fish and to the constitution of viruses.
- Avoiding Common Pediatric Errors (Avoiding Common Errors)
- Turek's orthopaedics : principles and their application
- Learning Together: Children and Adults in a School Community
- The Dying Patient in Psychotherapy: Desire, Dreams and individuation
- Integrative Play Therapy
Additional resources for Fearful Symmetry: Is God a Geometer?
11. Figure 1-13K shows a boy with port wine stain, affecting the maxillary division of the trigeminal nerve (see Fig. 10-2) and, to a lesser extent, the ophthalmic division: Sturge-Weber syndrome of angiomatosis (Bodensteiner and Roach, 1999). The patient had epileptic seizures due to meningeal and cortical involvement by the angiomatosis. 13. Figure 1-13L shows the back of boy with multiple neurofibromas and café-aulait spots (arrows): neurofibromatosis, type I. This disorder, like Sturge-Weber syndrome, belongs to the neurocutaneous syndromes, a group of congenital diseases that affect the brain and skin.
Especially notice the configuration at the apices of the medial and lateral canthi (medial and lateral angles) of the palpebral fissure. 3. Compare your drawing with the one shown in Fig. 1-2A. Then look again into the mirror and identify the parts of your eye, as listed in Fig. 1-2A. 4. In Fig. 1-2A and in your mirror notice the caruncle, the tiny mound of meaty tissue that occupies the apex of the medial canthus. 5. In the mirror study the iris, the colored disc, surrounded by the white sclera (Fig.
With the eyes at rest, the iris normally is nearly centered between the medial and lateral angles of the eyelids. See Fig. 1-6A. A Normal adult B Young child C Canthus dystopia FIGURE 1-6. Left eye, showing variations in the relation of the medial canthus and lacrimal papilla (vertical line) to the corneal limbus. Note the decreasing distance between the caruncle and the medial margin of the limbus in (A), (B), and (C). 2. Look at an infant or young child and note that the medial canthus covers more of the conjunctiva than in adults.